After a Busy Week, Earthquakes Look To Continue Momentum in Portland
San Jose Notes and Injuries
Form — W-L-D-D-W (11 points, 5th place in Western Conference)
Last Week — The Quakes came out in front 2-0 in a midweek game against the New York Red Bulls, with Fatai Alashe and Chris Wondolowski netting on either side of halftime. Full highlights here.
- Clarence Goodson and Anibal Godoy both remain questionable for Saturday’s match. Godoy is more likely to play than Goodson.
- Alberto Quintero’s goal against FC Dallas won MLS Goal of the Week, giving the Quakes the honor for the second straight week.
- David Bingham earned MLS Save of the Week with this diving stop against FC Dallas last weekend.
Portland Notes and Injuries
Form — L-D-L-D-L (5 points, 9th place in Western Conference)
Last Week — The Timbers continued their slow start to the season with a 3-1 loss at home to FC Dallas.
- Darlington Nagbe is back in training after being on the receiving end of a nasty and much-discussed tackle by LA Galaxy’s Nigel De Jong, but is not available for Satuday’s match.
- Defender Alvas Powell is out with a torn ligament in his wrist, and Dairon Asprilla is doubtful with a foot injury. Both were starters for the Timbers last time these teams met.
Predicted Starting Lineup
This is the Quakes’ third game in a week’s time, so there should be some rotation in the starting XI. One possibility is to return to the starting lineup that faced FC Dallas a week ago, with Simon Dawkins and Quintero returning to the starting lineup. But Matías Pérez García has been playing well and will certainly be in contention for a starting spot. Kofi Sarkodie could be a surprise starter in the back line.
Odds — Portland -114, SJ +320, Draw +270
This is the second time these teams have met this year, with the March match at Avaya Stadium going to the Quakes, 2-1.
- San Jose has scored 1.6 goals per game in their last five matches, while conceding 1.4 per game.
- The slumping Timbers have scored 1.2 per match in their last five, while allowing 2.4 per match.