Earthquakes Host Struggling Red Bulls in Midweek Game
San Jose Notes and Injuries
Form — W-W-L-D-D (8 points, 5th place in Western Conference)
Last Week — The Quakes went to Frisco, TX and earned a 2-2 draw against FC Dallas, with Alberto Quintero and Chris Wondolowski providing the goals. Full highlights here.
- Clarence Goodson remains out for Wednesday’s match, and is questionable for the match on Saturday.
- Anibal Godoy is getting closer to a return, but it would be more likely to happen on Saturday.
- Quincy Amarikwa made the MLS team of the week.
NYRB Notes and Injuries
Form — L-L-W-L-L (3 points, 9th place in Eastern Conference)
Last Week — NYRB lost 2-0 to Sporting Kansas City, failing to score for the fourth time in five matches this season.
- Defenders Kemar Lawrence and Ronald Zubar — both opening day starters — could both make their return from injury on Wednesday.
Predicted Starting Lineup
No changes seem likely from the weekend’s starting lineup, although the midweek game could force some rotation. Potential changes may come in the midfield, where Matías Pérez García may get the start over either Tommy Thompson or Simon Dawkins. In the back line, Wednesday may give an opportunity for Kofi Sarkodie to see his first minutes as a Quake.
Odds — NYRB +225, SJ +121, Draw +251
The Quakes moved up to seventh in the mlssoccer.com power rankings after the draw with FC Dallas, the second highest spot they’ve been this season.
- A second straight loss and fourth shutout loss sent the reigning Supporter’s Shield winning Red Bulls careening down to 17th in the rankings.
- Wondo’s goal is up for MLS Goal of the Week, and winning it would give the Quakes back-to-back goals of the week after Adam Jahn’s late equalizer won last week.
Photo: USA Today Sports