7/1 California Classico, Part II: Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup — SJ Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy Pre Match Scouting Report
Photo: Bob Stanton-USA TODAY Sports
San Jose Notes and Injuries
Last Round — The Quakes needed penalties to defeat USL affiliate Sacramento Republic FC on June 16. Sacramento held a 2-0 lead in the second half before Chris Wondolowski netted twice, and the Quakes prevailed 6-5 in the shootout.
Wondo will miss the match after leaving for national team duty ahead of the Gold Cup, but Cordell Cato is set to leave after the match and will be available.
LA Galaxy Notes and Injuries
- Last Round — The Galaxy ended amateur club PSA Elite’s deep run into the Cup with a 6-1 victory, helped in part by a Robbie Keane hat trick.
- Gyasi Zardes and Omar Gonzales are away with the Gold Cup squad. Jamie Penedo’s Panama squad convened on June 15 for the tournament, so it unclear if he will continue to be available for selection.
Predicted Starting Lineup
There is sure to be significant rotation for both sides after the first Clásico of the season on Saturday. Sanna Nyassi will be suspended for the weekend match against Portland through yellow card accumulation, and could retain his starting position as a result. Leandro Barrera, Khari Stephenson, Bryan Meredith, Shaun Francis, Jean-Baptiste Pierazzi, and Paulo Renato all started in the previous Open Cup match, and all could be in line to start again. Of course, Quakes fans will be hoping for a start from Tommy Thompson, who entered early in the second half in the match against Sacramento.
- The Quakes moved up two spots to eighth in the mlssoccer.com power rankings after last Saturday’s California Clásico win
- The Galaxy dropped a spot to sixth in the rankings, and are still without a road win this season.
- Wondo’s equalizing goal from Saturday is up for MLS Goal of the Week.